Okay folks, if you’re one of those who is freaked out about a cataclysmic cosmos-ending event tomorrow, let me offer a not-very-pastor-like reality check. Despite what you can read on the internet…
- The world is not going to end tomorrow because the Mayan calendar has run out of pages.
- A giant planet named Nibiru is not screaming toward Earth, about to collide with us.
- There will not be a huge blackout caused by some sort of rare planetary alignment.
- We are not in danger of being hit by a torrent of showering asteroids or comets.
- Your friend who emailed you from London/Paris/Tijuana/ saying he has run into some bad luck on vacation and needs you to wire some cash – that’s also an internet hoax.
- And Elvis is dead.
If you want a reality check, you can start with the NASA website. There they will explain that just as the calendar on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar doesn’t cease to exist on December 21, 2012. 12/21/12 marks the end of the Mayan long-count period, but then, just like your calendar begins again on January 1, another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar. Sorry to burst your conspiratorial space-ship bubble.
But if you REALLY want a reality check, you should trust what Jesus told you:
“Heaven and earth will pass away. But my words will never pass away. No one knows about the day or the hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Mark 13:31-32)
Reality: The world as we know it will indeed end, giving way to the amazing new thing God will do with it and us. God is bringing all things to completion in His time. There is a reckoning, a reconciling, a redemption coming. When will this happen? The Mayans don’t know. Shoot, how could they know? They couldn’t even see the Spanish coming. That preacher-guy who writes books about the end of the world – he doesn’t know either. NASA doesn’t know. I don’t know. YOU don’t know.
The important thing is not to know WHEN, but to BE READY then.
“Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. … Keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back – whether in the evening or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: Watch!” (Mark 13:33, 35-37)
Jesus is coming. It COULD be tomorrow. Are you ready?
Jesus says the way to live is with watchfulness. Have an expectancy that is READY to meet Jesus TODAY. When it comes to Jesus’ return, you don’t have to predict it, publish it, or promote it. But you should be prepared for it. Watch for it…. Be alert. Be ready.
What does Jesus mean? How do we WATCH for his return? How do we get ready?
- Trust Jesus completely TODAY. Not tomorrow. It may be too late. Would Jesus find you an unbeliever? What are you holding onto, thinking, maybe tomorrow I’ll surrender it to Christ? Let it go. Trust Jesus for your salvation and hope today.
- Grow up TODAY. When Jesus returns, will he find you an infant, sucking spiritual baby-milk from the bottle you should have grown out of years ago? When are you going to let the Spirit of God lead you, change you, grow you up and purify your life? Let that begin TODAY. Not tomorrow morning, TODAY.
- Share Jesus TODAY. When Jesus returns, it will be too late for them, and too late for you to do anything about it. God is not wanting any to perish, but hoping EVERYONE will dwell with him forever in the New Jerusalem. He is making his appeal to them through us. Don’t assume you have forever. Share your faith, your belief, your hope TODAY.
- Love TODAY. A scrooge heart, a soul stingy with love is a shriveled up soul that will be exposed as impoverished on the Day of the Lord. Let the love of God flow THROUGH you to others. Don’t wait to forgive. Don’t plan to serve others tomorrow. Don’t withhold love. Tell others. Show it. Any grudge you’re holding will be foolishness in the moment you look at Jesus face to face, and consider his grace toward you. Let it go TODAY. Let God heal your heart by loving someone else TODAY. When Jesus returns, let him catch you showing love to someone.
Today’s to do list:
Love God. Love People. Serve the World.
You’ll be ready.